Thursday, January 10, 2013

Ginger skirt in navy linen.

Here is my first project for 2013. A Colette Patterns Ginger skirt in a beautiful navy linen.

One of my new years resolutions (I know I haven't posted about these yet - I will soon I promise!) is to sew at least five different patterns from the Colette Patterns range. I pledged this resolution on Karen's blog post "Put your money where your mouth is". This goal is motivated by the fact I own too many a number of patterns from the Colette Pattern's range, plus the book, and all I have made from the brand to date has been a bunch of Sorbetto tops, and some Nutmeg knickers. That's all! Which is just so silly when these patterns are so cute!

You see, I have a weakness for small scale floral prints, and let's be honest, any Tana Lawn fabric from Liberty of London (Twitter and Instagram peeps you have surely worked this out by now!?). I usually turn these fabrics into dresses or tops. Whilst having lots of floral garments is nice, and quite pretty to look at in my wardrobe, I am in dire need of some wardrobe staples. Classic garments in basic colours to complement my floral addiction. For this Ginger skirt I knew I wanted a plain navy fabric. I went to Spotlight and found the most incredible navy linen.

I cut this Ginger as a Version 1 in a size 8. I didn't take any length off the hem as I like a knee length skirt. I used an invisible zipper and added some top stitching to the waistband.

And I have a confession to make. I just couldn't help myself. I may have added some Liberty to this skirt... see if you can spot where :-)








What I learnt from sewing this pattern:
- Linen feels divine.
- Linen creases easily.
- Waistbands lined with Liberty "Fairford" make me smile :-)

Sam xox

10 comments:

  1. How funny. I recently made my daughter a similar skirt. I need to post some pictures of her in it. I'm just learning to make girl clothes for her. My zipper isn't very good, but overall, I did okay. Be well. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's loverly :) Such a great basic for all your liberty tops to bounce off! And yay for floral-ful facings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely! The touch of Liberty totally adds an extra somethin' somethin' to your Ginger. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous skirt! I love the touch of liberty too. I love little surprises like that. It makes your skirt your own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your linen skirt is divine! and the perfect foil for a pretty Liberty print :) I love navy too, it is like the perfect basic colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is lovely! I currently have a weakness for anything navy and I just love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found you and I've been enjoying all your makes (blue-toned and otherwise). See you around. Also-spam message left by JA above.

    ReplyDelete
  9. World's Most Latest Vehicles and Latest Cars pictures, Most speed and Expensive Cars with hot pictures
    worldlatestvehicles.blogspot.com



    ReplyDelete
  10. Fassion Fruit
    We are a mixture of people, coming from all the places of the world with one goal in our mind. To bring fashion masterpieces to the women of Australia. Ideally, we would like to expand to the rest of the world and create an outstanding company connecting all the females that enjoy enriching their routines with fascinating clothing.
    You can buy from here Accessories, Dresses, Jackets, Jumpsuit, New Arrivals, Offer of the Week, Pants, Sales, Shirts, Shorts, Skirts...... http://www.fassion-fruit.com.au/

    ReplyDelete