Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dressmaking class.

On Saturday I attended a three hour course on 'how to make a dress' using the dress pattern V8184 by Vogue Easy Options. It was held at the Tessuti fabric shop in Surry Hills (remember I blogged about Surry Hills here?). Many of you may have noticed my post a few posts back on the tessuti online fabric shop and all the beautiful fabrics they had available. Well, the online shop is nothing compared to the actual store! What a hidden gem! If you want to have a look, check it out here and watch the video of inside the shop.

I arrived at Tessuti as doors opened Saturday morning, with my sewing machine in hand. I was feeling nervous as I do consider myself a novice when it comes to sewing clothes, and I was unsure what to expect from this lesson. My nervous eased when I met our teacher Georgia. What a gem! She was infectiously bubbly and enthusiastic about dressmaking. She had brought along a variety of dresses she had made using this pattern, and showed us how she had altered each slightly to give it an 'extra something'. Her workmanship was something to behold!

I still can't get my head around how much info Georgia managed to pack in the three short hours. I feel like I learnt so much: how to pin and cut a pattern properly, sewing a toile, fitting the toile perfectly to a body, and using the toile as an individualised pattern.

I even learnt how to sew a perfect princess seam AND bone a bodice! I am totally prepared now to make this dress, and I would definitely recommend anyone who is in or near Sydney to attend one of Georgia's classes - worth every cent!

After the class I spent time browsing the walls of fabric, until I found the perfect one...

Here are some pics.

Three hours of hard work.

My 'couture' bodice.

Princess seam & boning.

Heavy-weight cotton fabric in an oatmeal colour.
Tessuti card.

If you are interested in finding more out about this dress pattern, check out Georgia's pattern review here at the Tessuit Blog.

Sam xox

4 comments:

  1. Your class sounds great and I love the pattern you chose--very classic. When you've made your first dress, be sure to post pix, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so fortunate to live in an area where you can attend classes like this. And sounds like your teacher is a real nice lady. I peeked at the site you mentioned - wow - beautiful dress. Your fabric choice is very pretty. Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That sounds like an amazing class! I love the fabric you picked! Keep us updated on how your dress comes along.

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete